Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Our New Life (Heidi)



Well, there is so much to say right now. Yep we are in Orlando and the best way to sum it up is that I love it!! I still think it’s weird sometimes that I get to be at Disney World where everyday is magical :D

Like Emilee said, I am working at the Hollywood Brown Derby. It's a signature restaurant modeled after the original Brown Derby in Hollywood where all the famous people used to eat, like Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Judy Garland, ...anddd a bunch of other older famous people I don't know.  It is some dang hard work but the rewards definitely compensate for the crap I can get sometimes.  I’m a hostess so my job includes making reservations, checking our guests in, and seating them.  What they forgot to mention is that I am also the person who is supposed to know everything about Disneyworld, or Hollywood studios at least.  Being the front of the house, or “on stage,” I get a lot of questions. People want to know where they can eat, how they can get there, what they can eat there, how long the wait time is, where they can get a coffee or a burger or a drink, and the list goes on! Then there’s all the questions about our food and what they can eat with different allergies and what not.   I feel like a little knowledge base or something. It was so hard at first not being able to answer anything but now that I know the basics it is so satisfying being able to help people! Most of them are really grateful for whatever information you give them and they really trust your recommendations. Yay for feeling important!!

One of my favorite things to do now is just stand in front of the restaurant and hand out menus. I end up having the most random conversations with people and it’s really fun. We are also at the very center of the park where there is a nice big stage by the huge blue magic mickey hat, which means free entertainment all day at work.  Disney Channel Rocks (oh man) plays every hour so we’ll just say I know camp rock, HSM, cheetah girls, and a lot of other songs by heart (and some dance moves to go with each song haha). It’s a love hate relationship.  There’s also the 3 oclock pixar parade and the band that plays every night (my favorite).  And of course, Disney is always full of surprises so one night we got a huge firework show and there’s always lots of other fun things going on.

To top it all off I have a ton of coworkers who are super nice and fun. Most of them have been there for over five years, and some a lot longer than that! We all joke with each other at work and we all love dancing a little to the loud music that plays outside. The guests love it too! When they see us dancing they always smile or join in. It is definitely a fun atmosphere if we make it that way.

Whew! I can still think of so many more things to say but this post is already out of control. I guess just the biggest thing I have learned so far is that attitude is everything. I could easily hate my job and I already do come up with plenty to complain about, but every time I remember where I am and the amazing things I see and the awesome people I meet, I know I am so blessed. And I guess our whole lives are that way. Life is good my friends, no matter where we are : )

1 comment: