Thursday, January 19, 2012

Earned the ears!

The first few days actually in the Crystal Palace were kind of insane! There is so much to remember and do and if I don't do them right... well it's not good. Stressful! But it has been interesting to learn the ways of a restaurant. I've never worked in one before so it was fun to see how it works but being a hostess is harder than I thought. You get to make the guests' night magical because they're in the Magic Kingdom everything has to be perfect and that means that I have to remember everything that I need to say to them but make it seem natural and easy and not say the wrong thing or say it the wrong way. I have to know everything about the Crystal Palace and everything about the park and where things are in relation to the Crystal Palace and where the smoking areas are and the restrooms and where to send people if we are too full. I have to remember all of the people who have positions above me and everyone around me and who to go to for certain problems and what their positions are, even the chefs and sous chefs. I have to remember that it's a show and so smiling is the most important part. I come home and my face hurts from smiling all day! (which is a good thing I guess) There really is a lot to remember here but I actually "earned my ears" yesterday! That means that I had to take this big assessment/test to see if I was ready to be a hostess there and after an hour and a half of talking to a manager and answering all sorts of questions about the restaurant with the two other girls, I passed! I am officially a hostess at the Crystal Palace! I get to spend all day with little kids who have come to my restaurant to see their favorite people, Winnie the Pooh, Eeyore, Piglet and Tigger. I love seeing their faces as they walk in and Tigger is bouncing around the room and Piglet runs up to give them hugs. It is so fun to watch as the little kids run up to Winnie the Pooh and give him the biggest hug I've ever seen and they just look so happy. The characters are so funny too! They don't talk but they definitely act! Sometimes during the day, if we're on door duty (opening the door for 400 guests... fun right?), we get to go outside and play with hula hoops and teach the kids how to do it and to hand them out to anyone who wanted to "give it a go," as my Australian coworker says. Yesterday, I brought some hula hoops inside and Tigger pulls me into a hoop and makes me do the hula in front of all of those little kids! Tigger was clapping for me! It was so fun to see all of the kids faces as I hula hooped for them with Tigger dancing all around. I think it will be a fun three months!

No comments:

Post a Comment